Sunday 9 February 2014

Final Outcome! Memories



I would like to present how I created my final outcome, by the help of photographs that I took on each stage of my work. First three images present the materials I had to use to create the wax letters, first one presents the pot which melted the wax by heating it up to a very high temperature, second image presents plastic letter frames that children use to play about with in the sand, and finally the third image presents the wax already poured in the plastic frames, with the metal wire dipped in each letter, so that it all stays together, and so that it would be able to hang later on. Me and Ms Jaffer decided to order two bosex of the plastic frames, one had large letters another small.



The image below presents a close up example of what I exactly did with the wire, purposely for it to be able to dip in the wax. I took a piece of wire about 20cm longer than the word it was used for, and bent it in the places of where it was ment to be dipped in, to be able to keep the letters next to one another, without falling apart. After few tries, I've realised how strong the wax gets when it dries (which takes over an hour) therefore, I had no worries of the wire to break out of the wax, as it was perfectly solid and strong.

    
After creating all the words, by the end bits of the wire that stook out on each end of the word, I joined them with other words, which eventually created sentences. At the begining and end of each sentence I also left about 10/15cm piece of wire hanging, purposely if I needed it in the window to hang them up. The image below presents all of the 9 sentences completed and ready to hang.



Also, at the end of creating each sentence I went over it one more time with a wire, as one piece seemed to be not strong enough to carry a whole sentence, which initially came out to be very heavy. Therefore, I have decided to go over it one more time, which was a good call as then the whole structure of the sentence seemed stronger and more stedy. The image below presents what I did.



However, just because the idea of going over the sentence again with a piece of wire, doesn't mean I had no problems during the development. For instance, the bottom image shows how strong the wire in the wax was as long as it stayed in the wax, however because the wire right over the wax was bended to move to another letter, the fact that it was bended and moved quite a lot, it easily broke (just like presented in the image, wire inside wax stayed unmoved, outside wax it broke).



Because those parts broke so easily, I had to overcame this problem by going over the whole letter with the wire, so that it could be connected to the ones next to it, not break, and be strong enough to keep the sentence together. Image below presents the idea.

There was also another problem I faced during the development of the structure of the sentence. Sometimes when I was adding another layer of wire, the letters broke in my hands, wchich was not as bad as the wire problem because then I could fix it by sticking it together with a hot wax, therefore, overcoming this problem was not that difficult.


Then, by the help of a trolley that my friend found in our school, I moved all the sentences to the main entrance to the window, so that I could begin hanging them up. However, I had a problem as few of them broke on the way, therefore I was capable of hanging up only few, then I had to go back to fix them and repeat the whole story.



Images below present myself hanging up the sentences.





On top of my window I had two, large wooden sticks so that I could hang my sentences on them, however, they weren't enough to hang all 9 sentences up as they were increadibly heavy, therefore I had to go to the D.T departament with my teacher, and ask for more wooden sticks, so that I could create a strong and solid base, that would be cabable of holding them all.


Two images below present the almost fully complete piece. All wax sentences are hanged, facing foreward so that they are easy to be seen/read. However, the only thing that was left were the lights, yet at that time I did not know which lights I was going to use in particular.



Then I had to decide what kind of lightning I wanted to use for the window, therefore I tried the small batterry lights, about 7/8 of them, covered wit coloured paper or tissue paper. However, when I tried to cover the lights, the light would not go through the paper nor the tissue paper, it was stopped instead. Therefore, then I had to figure out something else, and after talking to my dad, he gave me an idea of using led lights, which he then ordered in colour orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment